Monday, March 30, 2009

From Seriousness & Sadness to Humor & Joy


Don’t you envy those people who always have a cheerful attitude towards life? I, myself, love people with a sense of humor. They attract me like magnet. They make me seek their company more often. Nothing seems to be a big deal even the most serious goals they work on. They derive joy in every little thing they do. They feed humor into all their actions. Life to them just seems as a long funny comedy episode. They are the 'happy go lucky type'.

I commend their approach to life. I once heard a quote that said: “Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway”. Very true, I believe. No matter how hard we try, in the end, we all share the same destiny. What makes us different is that some of us choose to focus on enjoying the ride while going to any destination. While others, fuss and complain at even the most trivial matters. A flat tire along the way, for instance. Big deal! Just have it fixed and move forward. Ultimately you’ll be there, only having made use of a more durable new tire supporting your journey. Even if matters go out of hand for a while; what would it serve us to get all mad about change of plans? Aren’t we better off with some unpredictability?

It’s all about holding the right attitude towards everything. Go out there and make your day a happy one. It’s all in your hands. A smile is contagious; so is laughter (even if no reasons exist). Derive joy in even the simplest things you do. You can always find some if you just reflect a bit about where it lies. It’s sad that we, as humans, are so special intellectually from other beings, yet, we are stuck with taking cognitive shortcuts; so habituated to not fully appreciating each moment we live.

Let’s shift our serious perspective about things. Notice the difference in your facial expressions when you do that. I am not saying that you are to negate your feelings when things go wrong. We can never be happy in times of loss; be it of people we love, or failures. Nor can we derive joy in such circumstances. It’s just that maybe it is better idea to take only some short time to grief that loss and not let it extend on and on. Process it for a while; and then look for the meaning of that experience and the lesson learned. There are hidden joys everywhere. I’ve seen people’s lives get transformed after loosing someone dear. They become full of gratitude for other things they still have.

So, whenever you feel that you haven’t smiled or felt happy during your day, start doing something about it. Instead of being so serious while going to work, running in errands, or actually doing your work, think happy. Wipe off that serious look and those sad thoughts. It won’t take long before we eternally become expressionless. Even if you’re not happy, just thinking happy thoughts will transform your mood. You are what you think. Does it take a genius then to conclude that we choose to make our lives full of delight or misery?

3 comments:

  1. Dear Dania,
    Magnificent! I am going to have a client of mine go to your website and read this. It is exactally what we're working on. Thanks for doing such a terrific job!

    Carol (CB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dandoush,
    I love your blog. I am currently reading a book entitled, "Good Families Don't Just Happen." I know the authors who have TEN sons! Their children go to the high school that my boys attend. I am sooo enjoying their book, but can't help feeling like I wish I could turn back time. One of the best pieces of advice that they give is to ALWAYS be optimistic and make your home a happy one. I love what you've said about criticizing others and I fully agree with you even though I've certainly been guilty of that myself! Happiness is contagious and we're all here for such a short time-why not be happy for most of it???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dania,

    What words of wisdom! Thank you for sharing.

    Indeed we need to look at life trough the eyes of lightness.

    BTW, you may have read the book "Happier"? Great stuff there too!

    Keep the post coming and continue to impact lives!

    Louisa

    ReplyDelete