Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Respond in Kindness

There are two contradictory principles regarding retribution to being wronged. One would suggest that “if you’re slapped on the right cheek, turn the other cheek”. It encourages neither retaliation, nor vengeance. The other suggests fighting back: “an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth”. Over the years, I found myself abiding by the first principle for several reasons:

1. I must agree with Mahatma Ghandi, who said: "An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind".

2. It serves us better than living with regrets.
3. It requires demonstrating self-control, maturity, and power to refrain from reacting in kind.
4. It gives one a feeling of being the bigger person.
5. It would feel the right choice even if one was distressed for a while.
6. It just might humble the other person and awaken the dormant good essence within.

7. I wouldn't want to prove that I could be as mean if I wanted to. I choose not to norish that part of me.

And, why not? Who am I to teach others a lesson? We are all given several chances for repenting. We will all face circumstances that leave us more enlightened. Perhaps “turning the other cheek” becomes one of those conditions. Perhaps, as well, it is just the right response to a God-sent test examining our strength of character.

No comments:

Post a Comment